Shocking NEWS About Poisoned Dog Food!

Due to the amount of pet food recalls and the increasing numbers of cases of animals dying by cruelty, pet owners are understandably worried about the risks of their own pets coming across poisoned dog food. Vets advise on a few significant signs that a dog’s food may have been poisoned. Amongst these signs to watch out for are vomiting, bloody stools, loss of appetite and energy, and excessive thirst. Unfortunately, these signs may not grow apparent until a number of days after the dog has consumed poisoned dog food.

If a dog owner is suspicious of food that their dog has eaten, even partially eaten, it can be advisable for them to keep any leftovers and bring them to a vet for examination. If the dog food is in fact poisoned, it can be worth noting if the police become involved in the situation as this information could lead to the perpetrators becoming prosecuted. It is evidence after all. If a dog shows any signs of being ill or poisoned, especially after eating food that has been recalled, given by a stranger or found on a walk, it is far better to consult a vet immediately than leaving it until it is too late to treat.

Crimes Involving Poisoned Dog Food

Amongst those dogs poisoned by contaminated dog food that has been recalled by manufacturers, there are also random acts of cruelty where dogs are purposely poisoned. This can occur for various reasons and by those who are sane yet excessively cruel. It is unfortunately, not that unusual for pet owners to find that after rows with neighbors or acquaintances, their dog eats food that has been mysteriously poisoned. This is growing in instances and it is the animals that bear the brunt for this type of thoughtlessness and cruelty. There are also those who do not have enough knowledge in the care of animals and who mistakenly feed their dogs food which is effectually poisoned, being full of toxins that are extremely unhealthy for dogs.

Dogs can also inadvertently consume food that has been poisoned and intended for other species like pests and rodents. Worse still are the cases of people who intentionally harm their own animals because they cannot afford to pay for their food, because the animal is not a working dog or if the animal has had puppies. These cases are criminal and many who are found guilty of feeding dogs a portion of poisoned food are forbidden from owning animals thereafter for a number of years. This is a growing practice but there are still many animals suffering from negligence and cruelty.

Beagle, Watch Out For Dog Food Poisoning!

The effects of food poisoning on dogs can be fatal in some cases and even ordinary foods can be poisonous to dogs so pet owners must beware when feeding their dogs leftovers and tidbits. Regardless of the fact that even well known brands of pet food can cause food poisoning in dogs due to accidental contamination, there are also many foods that contain toxins that are harmful to dogs. For example, some sugarless candies contain xylitol which it has recently been discovered can give dogs food poisoning that can result in liver damage and even death. Chocolate is another everyday product that can have severe side effects in dogs.

There are many signs of food poisoning to look for in dogs such as lethargic movements and a complete loss of appetite. Yellow jaundiced eyes and gums can indicate liver damage and food poisoning in dogs. Vomiting can also be an indication that the dog ingested toxic substances. It can take a number of days before a dog shows any signs of illness but if you fear that they may have eaten poisoned food, take them to a veterinarian even if they seem well.

Preventing Food Poisoning in Dogs

In order to prevent the harmful effects of food poisoning in dogs, there are a number of steps and precautions that pet owners can take. Limiting the amount of raw meat and especially fish that your dog regularly eats can prevent infections caused by bacteria and parasites. Moldy and gone off food should never be given to a dog to save it from being wasted. Chocolate and sweets are not good for dogs because of certain ingredients but also because the fat content is too excessive for a dog’s system. Excessive amounts of onion, garlic and other ingredients used in most kitchens can become quite toxic to a dog.

Handling a dog’s food should be treated hygienically in the same way as human food should be. Dogs may have stronger stomachs in one sense but they are also sensitive to bacteria and infections. A dog cannot tell its owner if it experiences symptoms that indicate sickness and by the time the symptoms become obvious to the owner’s eyes, the dog may already have suffered the effects of food poisoning. The longer an illness is allowed to prolong, the more expensive the vet’s bills will be if the illness becomes serious.

Recent Posts