If a food was making people sick, you’d want to know about it so you can protect your family, and for most people, this desire to protect their family members extends to pets. Just as food for people can have problems, there can be problems that lead to recalled dog food. If you want to be able to better protect your pets, there are a number of steps to take in order to determine when dog food is recalled and what to do after the recall.
The FDA’s Role
Just as with food for humans, recalled dog food is handled by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA is the first defense against food contamination, since they determine what is safe to add to foods for people and pets alike. But when something does happen, the FDA receives consumer complaints and issues recalls, as well as studies recalled dog food to determine exactly what about it makes the pets ill. Alerts are issued both through the FDA website at www.fda.gov and often through news outlets as well.
Even after the recall, FDA scientists work to determine what the exact problem with the recalled dog food is. Once it’s discovered, the FDA uses this information to better develop their processes for inspection of food and works with the pet food industry to help improve their process as well. In this way, the FDA works to lessen the amount of future issues that would necessitate recalled dog food.
If A Recall Occurs
In March, 2007, the FDA issued encouraged pet food manufacturers to recall pet food that was reportedly leading to kidney failure in cats and dogs. Currently, the FDA’s investigation of why that recalled dog food is causing problems is still open, but current news updates on their site give updates on the status of the investigation. More important, their site gives instructions of what to do in a dog food recall.
If your dog food is recalled, you should stop feeding it to your pets immediately. Stores generally give refunds for recalled dog food, so go to the store you purchased the food at and ask for a refund. The FDA also instructs people to look for health problems related to the recall. In the incident mentioned above, the signs to look for are loss of appetite, weakness, and vomiting. So, in order to keep up on any new outbreaks of recalled dog food, your best bet for information on signs that your pet is suffering, what to do with the recalled dog food, and information about investigations of that food, is the FDA.
What You Must Know About The Dog And Cat Food Recall?
On March 16, 2007 Menu Foods initiated the largest dog and cat food recall in history. It had been discovered through the death and illnesses of several pets that there was a problem with the pet foods on the market. Menu Foods is the manufacturer of most brands of dog and cat foods and uses the same basic ingredients for these products. It was found that wheat gluten in the pet foods was contaminated with a substance called melamine. Through several studies the Food and Drug Administration and Menu Foods found that melamine was causing the dog and cat illnesses and deaths.
Why Melamine Caused A Dog And Cat Food Recall?
Melamine is a chemical substance that is used in plastics and other products. When the dog and cat food recall occurred it was found that wheat gluten and other pet food ingredients imported from China were contaminated by this product. It is thought that the Chinese add the melamine to make the products appear to have more protein. Studies that were done in the past came to the conclusion that small amounts of Melamine were not harmful when they were ingested by dogs, cats, humans, and other mammals. But the new research suggests that the melamine causes crystal to be made in the kidneys that then can cause kidney failure. After several pets died from eating melamine tainted foods the dog and cat food recall was quickly initiated.
What A Pet Owner Can Do?
Many pet owners have become very concerned about the foods their pets eat since the dog and cat food recall. People want to feel confident that the foods they feed their pets are not harmful. The Food and Drug Administration has continued to be concerned and offers pet owners sound advice regarding the dog and cat food recall. In fact a complete listing of recalled pet foods can be found at the FDA website. If pet owners are concerned about pet food they still have in their home they should consult this list. The list is frequently updated as more and more imports from china are found to be contaminated.
Some pet owners have decided that the best thing to do is to make their pet’s homemade food. This can be done but may prove costly and great care needs to be taken to insure that the pets are getting all their nutritional requirements. There are many web sites that discuss homemade pet food and give recipes for different types of food. One positive aspect of the dog and cat food recall is that people have become more concerned over their pets diets and have become proactive in the care of their pets.
==> Related Reading ==>
Other Dog Owners Are Reading...
- Miniature Pets: Is That A Beagle In Your Pocket? Toy Recommendations For Small Beagles (2021)
- Are You Looking For Your Dog’s Safe No Bark Collar? Here is BC-200 Recommendation For You 2021
- Healthy Diet For Your Pet: Feeding Your Beagle Innova Dog Food (2021)
✅ Dog Collars
- Your Beagle Would Love A Designer Dog Collar!
- Is An Electronic Dog Training Collar A Good Idea For Your Beagle?
- Fashionable Burberry Dog Collars For the Beagle
✅ Dog Fence & Door
- Do You Want To Let Your Dog Free In Certain Perimeter? Use Petsafe PRF-3004 For Training
- Benefits And Advantages Of Invisible Dog Fences (2021)
- You Don’t Have A Patio In Your House? 3 Best Patio Panel Pet Door You Should Buy
✅ Dog Kennel & Bed
- A Dog House Starter Kit For Your Beagle
- Beagle Dog Kennel Training
- 20 Essentials To Shop For Your Beagle
✅ Beagle Health Care
- Beagle Poems To Comfort The Grieving – Dog Poems About Death, Rainbow Bridge & Heaven
- Holistic Medicine For Beagles: More Natural Approach To Heal In Veterinary Care (2021)
- Necessary 2021 Christmas Safety Reminders For Beagle Dog Owners
✅ Beginner Guide
- Necessary 2021 Christmas Safety Reminders For Beagle Dog Owners
- Are You Planning To Purchase Beagle? Caution! Things You Must Check Before Buying Puppies
- Short Bedtime Stories About Beagle Dogs
✅ Feeding Beagle
- Raw Dog Food: Should Do It With Your Beagle
- Dog Training Treats Your Beagle Will Die For!
- Dog Food Scare! What You Must Know For Your Beagle?
✅ Training Beagle