Beagles are generally happy, healthy animals however there are certain Beagle health problems common to the breed. Having a qualified veterinarian who is familiar with the potential issues may help identify symptoms and provide early treatment to stave off possible problems.
With the proper and consistent Beagle care, you can expect your dog to live anywhere from 10 to 15 years and if well cared for; they may live for 20 years or more. Part of the Beagle’s care involves daily exercise, the proper nutritional diet and frequent brushing along with attention to its health care needs.
The Beagle’s ears, long and floppy and considered cute by most owners, are a source of potential Beagle health problems. Moisture can become trapped in them and lead to infections and hearing problems unless wiped out cleaned frequently. A good practice is to wipe them out with a clean cloth as part of the frequent brushing program.
If an infection does develop, it can be usually be treated with daily cleaning, however if severe enough medication may be needed. A preventive measure recommended by veterinarians is a diet consisting of lamb and rice dog food. Allowing water to become trapped in the ears during bathing can be another source of Beagle health problems so care should be exercised when giving your Beagle the occasional bath.
Being Overweight Can Cause Additional Problems
The Beagle is a playful breed and many people cannot resist the urge to reward it often, which can lead to obesity, another of the Beagle health problems afflicting the breed. By maintaining a proper diet this can be avoided and help your pet reduce the possibility of other problems such as hip dysplasia and even heart trouble as some Beagles are prone to congenital heart disease.
Polyarthritis, with which the immune system begins an attack on joints can sometimes affect Beagles even at a young age and your veterinarian can usually treat this with cortisone if you catch it as part of your regular Beagle care.
Like most dogs, Beagles are susceptible to various cancers such as Lymphoma and the Beagle health problems can also include seizures and epilepsy, which are treatable with medication. Additionally, Beagles that are extremely active in their younger years may also be prone to contract arthritis. Providing quality Beagle care will also depend on your choice of veterinarian. It is vital that you know how to choose a vet for your Beagle.
While your new Beagle pup is fairly self-maintained, there are some tips for properly providing general Beagle care for your new pet. Their short, compact coat is mostly waterproof and their shedding habits are minimal, but some general Beagle care will be needed to help maintain your dog’s health and happiness.
Your new Beagle pup should be brushed almost daily with a hounds glove or stiff brush to remove any dead hair. They should also be combed with a flea comb to remove any unseen dirt. During its brushing the ears should also be wiped clean to prevent any infections or hearing problems as part of your general Beagle care for your pet.
A Beagle’s ears are floppy and tend to hold moisture inside the ear canal, which can manifest into infection. Especially if the animal is allowed to roam free in a fenced in yard and small insects and bugs can also find a dark, warm home there. As part of your regular general Beagle care program, keeping the ears clean and the coat brushed can also reduce the possibility of the development of an odor.
Diet Keeps Dog Fit And Trim
When you view your Beagle from above, it should have an hourglass appearance with some definition to its waist. Due to their playfulness and gentle personality, overfeeding is a common issue, resulting in the animal becoming overweight. As part of general Beagle care, its diet should be restricted to a cup or two of dry, nutritional dog food daily and never table scraps. Minding its weight can help prevent such problems as hip dysplasia and heart trouble.
Eyelashes can often be a problem for Beagles and general Beagle care should include keeping them trimmed. Since they grow long, they have a chance to curl under and grow into the eye causing irritation, known as distichiasis, possibly requiring surgery to correct.
There is no real reason to take a Beagle to a salon for bathing or grooming, but when occasionally bathing it at home, no tears dog shampoo should be used and extra care should be taken to completely dry inside their ears. Careless bathing can cause water to become trapped inside the ears, leaving the potential for ear infections. Another general Beagle care tip for preventative care is a diet of lamb and rice dog food, which supplies nutritional needs to keep their immune system healthy to fight infections.
You will also want to find a good veterinarian, who is familiar with the common problems of a Beagle and understands the health concerns facing the Beagle.
==> Related Reading ==>
Other Dog Owners Are Reading...
- Holistic Medicine For Beagles: More Natural Approach To Heal In Veterinary Care (2021)
- Healthy Diet For Your Pet: Feeding Your Beagle Innova Dog Food (2021)
- Can Dog Rescue Others? Knowing More About Beagle Rescue Dog Training (2021)
✅ Dog Collars
- Are You A Dog Owner? Best Deals You Must Check Out For Your Buddy: Amazon Prime Day 2021
- How To Use A GPS Dog Collar On Your Beagle?
- PBC00-11005, Pet-Safe Deluxe Spray Bark Control Collar
✅ Dog Fence & Door
- Is An Electronic Dog Fence Necessary? How To Keep Your Pets Safe 2021
- You Don’t Have A Patio In Your House? 3 Best Patio Panel Pet Door You Should Buy
- 20 Essentials To Shop For Your Beagle
✅ Dog Kennel & Bed
- Prepare A Christmas Gift For Your Beagle! Biggest Shopping Event You Should Check: Amazon Black Friday 2021
- Will You Need An Outdoor Dog Kennel For Your Beagle??
- A Beagle In A Custom Dog House? We Have 3 Kennel Recommendation For Better Choice
✅ Beagle Health Care
- What Household Items Are Toxic Or Hazards To Dogs?
- How To Choose A Vet For Your Beagle?
- Beagle Poems To Comfort The Grieving – Dog Poems About Death, Rainbow Bridge & Heaven
✅ Beginner Guide
- Dog Jokes & Beagle Humor For Making Happy Beagle Owners
- What To Expect From A Beagle Rescue Dog?
- Beagle Poems To Dog Owners About Rabbit Hunting & Unconditional Love
✅ Feeding Beagle
- Is Nutro Dog Food A Good Holistic Alternative For Your Beagle?
- Shocking NEWS About Poisoned Dog Food!
- Beagle Cesar Dog Food – A Top Choice
✅ Training Beagle